Followers

2/4/11

How to be creative jewelry making ideas


Gather up elements and hang them on something






Before you go purchase your elements to work with try to have a few guide lines such as 
all nature stuff 
or 
gold metal tones only 

think about what colors you like
what shapes you like
and do some surfing on ebay you can get some realy good deals if you try.  

Also I look for elements at yard sales and thrift shop and dismantle as needed.

Think about what you want to hang your stuff on Leather cords come in a variety of color and size.  

think about size, I have trouble working with items smaller than 6mm so my range is 6mm to about 10mm on beads.  Think about connectors you can buy or make your self such as the copper wire.


When I begin to create a new design, sometimes I have a clear vision of what I want to make but sometimes I like to just pull something together most of the time it works out well.


First find space in your home where you can put a good sturdy table to work on.  You will need to leave your work and come back to it as time allows so get a few sturdy clean boxes to keep you materials free from damage, dust and dirt.  Get a good light source to place in that area

Second determine what it is you want to create I am creating a necklace on this project


Third collect materials to work with and place them at your work area.  

You will need a few tools such as a pair of pliers, a small wire cutting tool and wire.  Then begin collecting materials that you would like to work with.  I find most of my supplies online search and sometimes i find things at the flea market.  You will need findings as well.


It helps to have a rich source of materials to pull from 
I can't express that strongly enough and it takes time to find what best reflects your own creative energy. 

Think about 
colors - I bought a pocket color wheel that inspires me and teaches me the right colors to mix together

texture
shape
stones
wood
plastic
theme
age group 
budget

I decided I want to make something for a girl.  
So that is the type of material I am looking for in my supplies

I Look through my supplies and pull out some items to lay on a clean white surface.  

I will work with a 18" silver plated link chain to build my sclupture necklace I can make the matching earrings last.  This photos shows a few elements that I have collected.

I am trying to find the right elements, they should all flow together in harmony, make a good presentation.  

This can sometimes come together fast and sometimes I like to take a few days to make my finial selection before I start to assemble.


I decide I want to work with the green rough rock that I have already wrapped in copper wire.

Next I lay out the necklace and move some of the elements in to place to see if it pleases my eye and my brain.




I decide that I may want to make the chain longer than 18 inches so i bring in another chain and a few other chains in several sizes, 

I also know i want the green stone as the center focal point

I want to create at least 3 dangles on this necklace. 
I have also decided to use copper wire in this piece.


Now I am thinking that I don't want the green stone, it is to masculine I think I will work with the pink quartz stone I have wrapped in copper wire, 

I have also decided not to use the peace sign charms  

I have already added two inches to the length of the necklace before placing the center focal pendant


 
I checked my inventory and found new elements that may be absorbed into this piece


Here I have added the a wood bead that I combined with two pearl beads and end caps to the quartz pendant 
notice I have used 3 different sizes of copper wire for this project


Now is a good time to take a critical look at your piece, i like to pin it to the white foam board I have.  Be sure to leave space between all your bails this will allow the elements to move freely


I will be adding more copper for sure
I decided to add copper wire to the wood bead, using a different bead to practice on I created something that I fell in love with 
I have decided to add it as a third pendant 



decided to remove the leaf it just gets in the way in this piece and it is jagged may be better for earring.
Now lets see how all of the elements lay together

I love the way this looks, wow it knocks my socks off 
I will not be using the purple pearls

I noticed the bail i created to connect all of the pendants together is not heavy enough so I am reworking with larger wire
next photo I am creating the bail to connect the wood bead i made the copper wrap for.  This bail is twisted wire

As you can see I have changed this necklace a lot since first starting it I have added pink glass heart beads 




Decided to put the leaf charm back on I miss it in the center I do think it belongs there

Feb 13th I am going to change the dragonfly chains will connect
the two in the middle

Feb 9th I am waiting for small dragonfly charms to come in the mail so I can't make the matching earrings for this piece yet.


Materials for necklace
pink quartz nugget with copper wire wrap and bail
two large wood beads 
4 blue glass hearts
4 pink glass hearts
2 8mm freshwater pearl beads with copper end caps
1 20 inch link chain silver plated
2 large silver tone tibet silver dragonfly pendant charms
2 small silver plated dragonfly charms
3 sizes coated for jewelry making copper wire 
Materials for earrings

The next project is a custom order necklace.  
One of my best customers, she loves my work and buys frequently
She picks out the elements she is attracted to and I do my best creative process on each project












this is red monkey studio gallery in my home
customers can come in a browse and even make there own piece
the other side of the room has my work desk


No comments:

Post a Comment